Best resources for an overview of keto
Knowing where to start makes change less daunting. Here is our curated list of the best the credible keto world has to offer. If you have additions, let us know! If you offer keto care and would like to be linked, let us know!
Keto resources for families, caregivers and patients
Of the many versions of the ketogenic diet, might some emerge as preferable for certain indications or bio-individual factors?
Ketogenic diet overviews
Emerging keto diet guidelines a may also be helpful.
- Diet Doctor: Making Low Carb and Keto Simple
- Intensive Dietary Management (IDM) Program: Fasting for weight loss and diabetes control made simple
- Dr. Eric Westman’s “page 4.” He leads Duke Keto Medicine Clinic and Adapt your Life
- Virta Health: Clinically-proven treatment for diabetes reversal
- The Ten Defining Characteristics of a Well-Formulated Ketogenic Diet
- Virta Health – Overview of clinical trials and research
- The Virta Treatment
Medical Ketogenic Diet
Especially for more serious conditions such as epilepsy, treatment-resistant schizophrenia, bipolar or depression disorders.
- Charlie Foundation for Ketogenic Therapies (pediatric epilepsy) Keto Therapies diet plans. Learn about Ketosis
- Matthew’s Friends for Ketogenic Therapies (pediatric epilepsy). Online Introductory Course for Families, Carers and Patients
Ketogenic diets combined with elimination diets and other variants.
Some athletes and those with food sensitivities use other keto diet variations. Ketogenic diets can also be vegetarian, vegan and carnivore diets. Some who desire to improve their metabolic health by spending some time in ketosis, choose instead to use fasting and time restricted eating. We at Metabolic Multiplier are diet diplomats. Work with your doctor to find what works for you, especially if you are using diet to help treat a disorder.
- Nevada Gray, PharmD, RN, CPT. the PaleoPharmicist, provides an evidence-based approach to addressing food sensitivities across the spectrum of diet options.
- Carrie Diulus, MD. An orthopedic spinal surgeon manage her type 1 diabetes with a ketogenic diet
If human bodies spending time in ketosis is valuable then reaching this state through fasting can also be useful. Fasting usually broken into three categories: time restricted eating, alternate day fasting and extended fasting
Moderated keto support groups for individuals and their families
The following are popular forums for ketogenic eating.
Free keto support groups
- Ketogenic forums (An offshoot of 2 Keto Dudes Podcast) – You can find me there! (Cecile)
- The Fasting Method (IDM Program). “The Obesity Code Network: Fasting Support with Megan Ramos & Dr. Jason Fung” is on Facebook.
- Doctor Tro. Weekly Online Town Hall Meetings on Zoom.
Keto communities with membership (some have a free trial period).
- Intensive Dietary Management (IDM Program): Fasting for weight-loss and diabetes control made simple. For their Member Community they use low-carb, high-fat diets including ketogenic dietary therapies.
- Virta Health: Clinically-proven treatment for diabetes reversal.
- Diet Doctor Community
In-person keto meet ups near me
MeetUp.com lists over 250 local groups around the world along many related terms. Ketogenic diet, ketogenic lifestyle, keto, nutritional ketosis, low carb lifestyle, low carb, intermittent fasting, low carb high fat, low-carb eating, keto recipes, ketones, carnivores. Arranged by number of groups from large to small. Many communities are now meeting virtually.
Best low-carb books
This keto book list is ordered by a measure of popularity, the number of ratings received on Goodreads.
Low carb and keto books for beginners
- Jason Fung, M.D. The Obesity Code: Unlocking the Secrets of Weight Loss
- Jason Fung, M.D. Jimmy Moore. The Complete Guide to Fasting: Heal Your Body Through Intermittent, Alternate-Day, and Extended Fasting
- Eric C. Westman M.D., Stephen D. Phinney M.D., Jeff S. Volek. The New Atkins for a New You: The Ultimate Diet for Shedding Weight and Feeling Great
- Jeff S. Volek and Stephen D. Phinney M.D. (2012). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living
More advanced low carb and keto books
- David Perlmutter, M.D. (2013) and Kristin Loberg. Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs and Sugar — Your Brain’s Silent Killers.
- Gary Taubes. (2011). Why We Get Fat: And What to do About It. (2007). Good Calories, Bad Calories: Challenging the Conventional Wisdom on Diet, Weight Control, and Disease.
- Nina Teicholz. (2014). The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet.
- Jeff S. Volek and Stephen D. Phinney, M.D. (2012). The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance – This book is written for athletes interested in the benefits of keto adaptation.
- Amy Berger. (2017). The Alzheimer’s Antidote: Using a Low-Carb, High-Fat Diet to Fight Alzheimer’s Disease, Memory Loss, and Cognitive Decline.
Keto resources for mental health
- Chris Palmer, MD. Did you know that the medical ketogenic diet has been effective for some with treatment-resistant schizophrenia and bipolar disorder?
- Start with Dr. Palmer’s Grand Rounds talk at Harvard Medical School’s McLean Hospital, “The Ketogenic Diet in Psychiatry”. (1 hour)
- A bibliography of research articles by Dr. Palmer and others exploring keto for psych as well as the metabolic-mental connection.
- Dr. Palmer & MH Paradox are raising money to fund a research project based in Boston.
- Ignacio Cuaranta, MD. “Nutrition and Mental Health” Diet Doctor podcast #26.
- Georgia Ede, M.D. focuses on elimination diets, including the carnivore diet
- Low carb and mental health: The food-mood connection. Diet Doctor. July, 2019.
- Parkinson’s, Alzheimer’s, and the New Science of Hope: Metabolic similarities offer a path to preventing neurodegenerative disorders. Psychology Today. Posted Jun 29, 2019
- Ketogenic Diets and Psychiatric Medications. Psychology Today. March 27, 2018.
- Anne Mullens and Georgia Ede, M.D. Ketogenic diet for mental health: Come for the weight loss, stay for the mental health benefits? Diet Doctor. June, 2019.
- Shebani Sethi Dalai, MD. Metabolic Psychiatry. Dr. Sethi Dalai is double board certified in both Psychiatry and Obesity Medicine. She is an Attending Psychiatrist in the Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and Director of Metabolic Psychiatry Stanford University.
- Dr. Sethi Dalai’s group is recruiting patients interested in their study of ketogenic diet intervention for people with bipolar illness and schizophrenia study which will run over the next year based in California.
- They also have a Metabolic Psychiatry FaceBook group available regardless of your geographic location.
Fasting science (and time restricted eating)
The Fasting Method. The science of fasting. What are the benefits. Getting started. Type 2 Diabetes. Wellness. Autophagy. Research.
The Fasting Doctor: Helping women maximize health, wellness and fertility.
If you take prescription medications or suspect you have an underlying condition, then please work with your clinicians to tailor your diet to your specific needs. Of course, there are also many websites, books, podcasts and self-proclaimed experts aimed at weight loss. Buyer beware.
Low-carb and keto success stories
Read about stories from real people who have changed their lives.
- Low-Carb Action Network’s success stories
- Diet Doctor’s low-carb and keto success stories
- Virta Health’s patient success stories
- Metabolic Multiplier team’s own success stories