ketone bodies (human) = acetone, acetoacetate (ACA), ß-hydroxybutyrate (ß-HB).
Ketones are a substance produced by the liver during gluconeogenesis. To learn more we recommend:
- Keto Nutrition – Glucose lowering effect of ketone
- Newman, J. C., & Verdin, E. (2017). β-Hydroxybutyrate: A Signaling Metabolite. Annual review of nutrition, 37, 51–76. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-nutr-071816-064916
Metabolic Multiplier posts that refer to ketones or ketone bodies
- Layperson terms for ketone body metabolism?
- Ketosis versus ketoacidosis, metabolic flexibility or pancreatic disability?
- Using metabolic schematics to organize our thinking about metabolic health
- What is metabolic health anyway?
- Mani’s metabolic musings
- Might the ketogenic diet help fight Alzheimer’s Disease?